how long will it take? It was a redder fruit, and the plant is smaller and even the leaves have a bit of a red tinge. Occasionally (once every 6 months) we gave them some citrus fertilizer. . Seems to be normal sized. Thinking about buying an over the stove We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Pineapples will grow MUCH better in ground with rich composted soil and fed regularly, if planted in sunny spot. I also grow Pineapples. Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple @ Floridata.com. You can use that to your advantage by planting your small suckers and slips into a "nursery bed". Two questions: 1. You then take the top off the pineapple and plant that. Giving it as much sun as possible will help it along. To create this article, 24 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. I'll see if I can find some pics and post if your interested. I am going to try some fertilizer on the rest. Send me an email if interested. You may have to prune it as well. The only issue I have with it is that it was the smallest pineapple I have ever seen, about the size of a grapefruit. Is it still possible to get a well hand-dug as opposed to drilled? wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. Cut or break off young side shoots or "pups" from an existing plant when they're half the size of the adult. It can be found in upscale food markets. Yes, I have plenty in my yard. I just love old, fun stuff like these that can still be used! Which is the best UK website to ascertain the origin of a telephone number that cold called you? If my instruction leaflet says "remove fruit as it ripens or deteriorates," does that mean to take the small flowering pineapple off my plant? Thanks, shuffles. What a difference! If you maintain them at the warm temprature that they need, they will produce again. What is your secret? What to Do to a Pineapple Plant After Picking the Pineapple. Those are awfully big, spiny plants to have next to your bed (which is where my only South-facing window is located). Personally, I would only purchase the three additional chairs if you can use 3, 4 or 5 around your dining table. Sometimes they will smell like sweet pineapple when ripe too. Results are smaller fruits. Here's a pic of the pineapple. The original plant will die back, but in its place are usually some “pups”, little plants growing at the base. Next round are going out front in the wonderful florida sun!! My fruits have been smallish (but oh so yummy!) I'm thinking about trying to grow one, but have never done so before so I have to ask dumb questions. % of people told us that this article helped them. as well & I grow them all from tops (& in containers too), not from purchased plants. I've a hunch the fruit of plants grown from tops may be smaller - supposedly, the 1s from 'pups' are more desireable - is that why? Gee, for some reason I just wasn't as motivated to bring that plant inside the winter after it fruited. i bought a pineapple plant, then after about 3 weeks at home in my window sill, it turned yellow, the whole room smells like pineapple, but its so small! The best I ever had was on coastal Honduras. Based on your question, I gather that flowers actually sprout out of those mini pineapple eyes? Not gigantic but nice. But my neighbours feed theirs with weak seaweed/fish emulsion fertiliser and they get humungous fruit. The only issue I have with it is that it was the smallest pineapple I have ever seen, about the size of a grapefruit. Anyway, the variety has most to do with the size of the fruit. Was it a consequence of COVID-19? They even survived the cold winter 3 years ago here in W Pasco. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Their teeth fell out. We put them in some pots from the other Tom for now...at least until the Orlando trip is over. I quickly learned to be careful getting out of bed in the mornings! Really they just recovered from it! When your pineapple is yellow it's ripe, and that means it's ready to be harvested. All my pineapples are small too. Right now I have Meyer lemon, Eureka lemon, Fuji apple, blood orange, naval orange, avocado, cherimoya, white sapote, Kaffir lime, yuzu, and ice cream banana (which has bananas on it right now). Grew indoors though and I think thats why it has ripened so small. Still jealous of those absolutely beautiful pond lilies and bananas... We ate one of my pineapples this week and it was so sweet, just was small. The pineapple plant's flowers -- which can vary from lavender to bright red -- produce berries that actually coalesce together around the fruit's core. Once you have cut the top of the pineapple and so on, it takes 1-2 years for the plant to bear fruit. How do you know when they are ready to harvest if the size varies so much? pick that pineapple before the raccoon smell it and swipe it. Pineapple plants have really pretty flowers. What should I do about a store that delivered but didn't install a new gas stove? A heavy crop requires thinning, which means removing most of the fruit while it is still small. Any solutions? I had it in a pretty big pot, and fertilized it. will a new plant grow after i pick this one? Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Pineapple, Thanks Carol. And it sure helps to not have any hard freezes. How long does it take to grow a mini pineapple? Home grown are almost as good as the ones we get in the tropics. the top. But if I ever own a greenhouse, I'll almost certainly grow a pineapple again. Elements of Style: A Passion for Pineapples, Cooking With Color: When to Use Yellow in the Kitchen, 8 Stress-Busting Tips for Hosting Small Gatherings, Experiments Aplenty Fill Vancouver Edible Garden, Herb Garden Essentials: Grow Your Own Culinary Sage, How to Relax and Put Housework in Its Place, How to Start a Cool-Season Vegetable Garden.