How to install compensated Tele-style saddles. Compensated saddles are used to improve intonation which effects the instruments ability to play in tune up and down the neck. Here's a pretty good shot of a compensated saddle. Compensated saddles change the strings length by varying the position of the saddle's crown (point of contact). WOW....that might be fastest I ever had a questions answered. That is also why it is slanted. .[/quote']. Reversing that saddle wouldn't make much sense - it appears to be installed correctly to me; although the compensated low E is a bit unusual, it's not unheard of. You do realize you misspelt Nihilus, right? Display as a link instead, × Hence the notches and the angles in a compensated saddle. Hi, I have an Ibanez AE300 and have been wondering if my saddle was put back on the right way too. By Check your intonation, then just rotate it 180 and/or do the upside down thing and see if there's any difference. Another way to check it quick.. is turn the compensated saddle upside down. When I build my guitars, I usually locate the high E string's saddle location at twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret plus 1/8", And I locate the low E string's saddle location at twice the 12th fret distance plus 1/4". The correct way to install a compensated bridge saddle is with the E furthest forward. You can also use the saddles … They can’t be quite as accurate as a six-saddle bridge would be but, for keeping your Tele feeling Tele-ish, they’re a good solution. After I orient the saddle slot to that location I usually will install the saddle and shape it for height/action. If I'm ever in Chicago again, I owe you a slice of deep-dish at the REAL pizzeria UNO. Thanks! For whatever reason it just looks and feels more right to me. He said he liked it, but it was too bad everyone was out of tune. Compensated Saddle. If, (the fretted note), is sharp, you need to compensate the saddle by filing the contact point farther away. Shaping the top of the saddle to move the "take off" point of the string forward or backward is a way of fine tuning it further.   Your previous content has been restored. Seems to me it should rise to a crown in the middle but I could be wrong. If that dont work, your gonna have to splurge for another set of strings. frank. For reasons that will make sense once you've read about it, some notes are more out of tune than others. You should be able to just loosen the strings and slip the saddle out to turn it around. The saddle may sit "captive" in a groove as it does in the bridge above, or it may be inlaid in a channel cut all the way through at the ends, as in this Martin guitar from the 1950s: Either way, the saddle … If you're getting a new saddle, you can start with it uncompensated, see how it sounds. Here's a pretty good shot of a compensated saddle. Someone once asked a composer from India what he thought of a symphony he'd just heard. You can also tell if the saddle is compensated by looking at where the B string would go. If its flat, you need to move, (by filing), the contact point on the saddle closer to the nut, making the string shorter. (0 members and 1 guests). Thanks! I THINK that's how it goes, anyway. . If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Compensated Saddle . This adjusts the length of the string ‘compensating’ for accurate ‘intonation’ so the guitar sounds in tune with notes played higher up the fretboard. Here's the reason: The E string is the most flexible and needs little compensation. Clear editor. The compensation usually goes under the B string, and the Low E. That makes it pretty easy to figure out which end is which. I believe that the bass side of the saddle is always higher than the treble, to accomodate the larger vibration amplitudes of the wound strings. When ya get a little mixed up (as we all do sometimes) just remember that the funky offset part of the saddle goes under the treble string, not any of the bass ones. Nightwatchman9270, June 17, 2010 in Acoustic Guitars. Worst case, you can go back to the old one. FWI saddles are not just good transmitters of sound waves, they actually alter them to provide added warmth and thickness to the guitar's voice at the expense of losing some of sparkle in the higher registers. A damp cloth or blue roll is fine for this. Paste as plain text instead, × © 1995-2019 Harmony Central, Inc. All rights reserved. I'm thinking I put my saddle in the wrong position. Today only, November 26 - 40% off all Mel Bay titles with Discount Code THANKS, Jams, Workshops, Camps, Places To Meet Others, Technique, Theory, Playing Tips and Tricks, Bluegrass, Newgrass, Country, Gospel Variants, Old-Time, Roots, Early Country, Cajun, Tex-Mex, Jazz/Blues Variants, Bossa, Choro, Klezmer, Celtic, U.K., Nordic, Quebecois, European Folk, Orchestral, Classical, Italian, Medieval, Renaissance, Octaves, Zouks, Citterns, Tenors and Electrics, If this is your first visit, be sure to Oh and welcome to the agf. Hey, it sounds like you did put your saddle in wrong...dont know what kind of guitar you have, but if it has bridge pins..(not a pinless bridge) you can use a capo, clamp your strings at the 4th or 5th fret, loosen the strings plenty but dont unwind tuners all the way or let the string come loose from the tuners, you should be able to get enough slack in the strings (leaving the capo clamped on them) to remove the bridge pins and turn your saddle like its suppose to be, reinstall pins and take slack out of strings, remove capo and tune. Powered by Invision Community, Why is the saddle slanted' date=' and why is the area under the B string cut differently?. A compensated saddle includes ‘grooves’ or ‘notches’ where the high E, B and G strings rest. Fortunately many guitar makers are now using bone saddles in their stock models. I took the strings of my Taylor 210 off and thought tonight when I'm tired would be a great time to "sand down" the bridge.