A food blog with plant-based recipes from all over the world, aquafaba, Asian-inspired, easy, gluten-freego to recipe, ‘Take your greasy mitts off my vegan tempura!’, hmmm, sorry, I was talking to Duncan…He is always by my side when I decide to make something deep-fried (as I do not do it very often) and gets slightly miffed when I have the cheek to allocate less than perfect pieces to him. Thank you , Aw, thanks for letting me know, Aja! Cover each piece of tofu in the tempura batter before carefully lowering in the hot oil and frying for 3-4 minutes … This restaurant-quality Japanese vegetable tempura takes just 30 minutes to make and is a great way to use up those leftover veggies–with a delicious twist! Not only is it made with simple ingredients, but it also tastes every bit as great as the freshly-fried tempura that you can order at a Japanese restaurant! My bro, my cousin and I grabbed a bowl of them and hid under the dining table, which had a long tablecloth so gran had no idea where we were or what we were up to. I remember one particular incident that still makes my ears burn in shame. Quarantine victory, folks. Now you might think that for a food blogger, I’d be a little more, well, inspired when it comes to kitchen routines. For the Tempura: ingredients. Fields marked as * are mandatory. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window), http://www.wallflourgirl.com/2020/04/22/vegetable-tempura-with-vegan-dipping-sauce/, 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin strips, 1 head of broccoli, washed and chopped into individual florets. Will work on it tomorrow , Great to hear, I hope you’ll enjoy it! Rest smaller bowl on top of the ice cubes. x Ania, Moroccan salad bowl with preserved lemons, Vegan ramen with grilled vegetables and tofu, This recipe has been written by Ania. Comfort food, 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine flour, egg, ice-cold water, salt, and pepper. Lightly pat dry with a second paper towel to remove any excess oil. Prepare two fairly large glass or metal bowls. One thing I do miss, though, is eating food made by someone other than me. I don’t miss having to spend an extra $150 a month on gas, or passing out on my couch immediately after getting home from a long day at work, or forgetting my lunch at home and wolfing down a bag of office Famous Amos cookies instead. My son who can’t have dairy, gluten, dairy and eggs loved it so much! Could sifted all purpose flour or white pastry flour work instead of cake flour? Once the oil comes to temperature, test it by dropping a piece of tempura in it. I’m so happy to hear that! Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel on top of a plate. Warm the dashi, soy sauce, and salt in a small sauce pan. Thankfully, Wallflour Boy offered to pick up groceries for me last week, a fact that emboldened me to finally gird my chef loins and start cooking again. My tempura turned out crunchy and light – it was perfect! Wowza!! Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve with tempura. I used sweet potatoes and broccoli, but note that you can tempura-ize pretty much any vegetable your hungry heart desires. 1 small butternut squash or sweet potato, peeled; 2 medium courgettes; 1 medium aubergine; 45 ml fridge-cold, reduced aquafaba; approx. As it turns out, I’ve always had trouble finding motivation to cook proper meals when I’m flying solo, and even less so when every trek to the grocery store feels like an apocalyptic cross between Shaun of the Dead and Children of Men. Repeat with remaining pieces, taking care not to crowd your vegetables so that they can fry properly. Pour oil into a small pot and set it on the stove on a medium heat. Plus i love cats, and your branding , Aw, thanks so much, Kirsty! I want to eat it every day haha! If using a flour with gluten as opposed to rice flour, be very careful not to overmix the batter or else your batter will end up heavy. My brother and I loved these occasions as we always got to nibble on a nice spread of food. While some people are testing the limits of how long they can go without in-person human contact, I’ve been sitting over here wondering how long I can survive while eating basically the same three things: veggie fried rice, instant noodles, and store-brand Raisin Bran Crunch. It was sooooo good! Pour oil into a small pot and set it on … This was AMAZING! Here, you’ll find my favorite simple, no-frills recipes that will keep you baking in the background, too…and lovin’ it! I’m delighted to hear that, Carina! Looking for an easy dinnertime recipe? That’s soooo lovely to hear, you made my day Yeah, I also find cats pretty irresistible too, it’s funny how I didn’t even know I liked them until I became a foster cat mum a few years ago! That’s because the tempura batter (which is made up of equal parts flour, number of eggs, and ice water–1 cup each) is incredibly light, yielding tempura with a perfectly crispy and almost airy texture, just the way tempura should be. Ania. Add fridge cold sparkling water to the aquafaba, then mix in cornflour, rice flour and baking soda with a hand whisk to achieve a runny (crepe-like) batter. Serve straight after frying with a dipping sauce on the side. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. I love good food but I love animals more! That’s great to hear, thank you so much! Poor Duncan, with all this food blogging and testing going on, he must be so underfed! She was “well mad” and we got in a lot of trouble. Passing this to our readers. Serve with rice and vegan dipping sauce! Looking for an easy dinnertime recipe? In another bowl, combine all dipping sauce ingredients and set aside until later. This was absolutely amazing! For instance, I don’t miss having to change out of PJs for actual-people-clothes when there’s daylight outside. Just want to say how much I LOVE this blog. When the mixture becomes piping hot, remove it from the stove top, and add the ponzu sauce. © Wallflour Girl. Put cold aquafaba into the small bowl and whisk it with a hand whisk until frothy. On one such occasion, my gran was making a spring green pea soup with delicious, crispy and salty butter-fried croutons as a starter. When she finally heard our whispers from under the table, she lifted the tablecloth and discovered the three of us, much less amused now, hugging an awkwardly empty ex-crouton bowl. I followed your instructions well and enjoyed it with the family!