Oliver didn't eat much of them though (I think he prefers a blander bean). Next time I'd try 30 minutes, or lower the heat to 350. And we like our food spicy! Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. This spinach is really easy to make, cooks quickly, and has a subtle, permeating flavor. Here are recipes for 160 of Union Square Cafe's unforgettable dishes, from appetizers, soups, and sandwiches to main courses, vegetables, and desserts. 172. Photos here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/875826#7703426. Mr bc was simply smitten and, to this day, I’ve been on a quest to replicate what seemed like a very simple dish. I didn't know how much I like Brussels sprouts until I made this recipe. These reminded me of Thanksgiving with the spices. Loved how easy this dish was to prepare. Ecco; Illustrated edition (March 5, 2013), Reviewed in the United States on September 12, 2018, Reviewed in the United States on February 9, 2020. I'd recommend more butter and more rosemary to be tossed with the nuts as those were the best parts. This time I used fennel instead of celery in the cooking liquid then I subbed fennel instead of the other herbs at the saute stage. Nope, water, good base seasonings, and cooking beans will suffice, thanks. Toast in the oven until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Also, you could easily cut down on the amount of the lemon vinaigrette -- we have plenty left over. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Browse and save recipes from The Union Square Cafe Cookbook: 160 Favorite Recipes from New York's Acclaimed Restaurant to your own online collection at EatYourBooks.com Please try again. Place the tuna steaks in the marinade and refrigerate for 3 hours, turning every hour. The restaurant also received the James Beard Award for Outstanding Restaurant of the Year. I made this exactly as written and it was incredibly spicy, to the point where the heat overwhelmed the other flavors. This recipe also uses a large number of pots and pans and is quite time-consuming. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. The texture and flavor is great. Double the recipe next time. The book suggests a soft, grapey Merlot w this recipe and I have to say, it was a perfect pairing. Please try again. The recipes are clear and unpretentious and deliver great flavor without fussiness. In my neck of the woods, or at least this year, when zucchini, tomatoes, and basil are in abundance, the weather is so swampy you absolutely do not want soup; and by the time you do want soup, they're gone. Super simple, and very flexible. Pg. Amateurs and pros alike will find the dishes here as accessible as they are irresistible. This is simply "the best" antipasti bean dish we've ever had. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Delicious, and definitely worth repeating. Lovely. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Nevertheless, while some came close, none have successfully replicated the dish. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Sometimes when time is tight I make a quick marinara by sautéing garlic then pouring in a bottle of Italian Passata. It's a family favorite. Toasted walnuts are a good substitution for poppy seeds. This is THE one for us. If I’d been thinking, I would have given each plate a quick sprinkle of fennel pollen but I’ll have to save that for another time! 146. Please try your request again later. Much more user-friendly than most restaurant cookbooks. Danny Meyer, a native of St. Louis, opened his first restaurant, Union Square Cafe, in 1985 when he was twenty-seven, and went on to found the Union Square Hospitality Group, which includes some of New York City's most acclaimed restaurants: Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, The Modern, Maialino, North End Grill, Blue Smoke, and Shake Shack, as well as Jazz Standard, Union Square Events, and Hospitality Quotient. 1995 International Association of Culinary Professionals Award Winner, Follow people reviewing the recipes in this book on Chow Hound It added a nice kick, but was not too much for us. Very tasty with easy to find ingredients. But the sandwich with the bacon was really delicious. But, also as with other recipes in this book, the profusion of fresh herbs adds a wonderful complexity of flavor, so the extra effort is not wasted. Congratulations, Danny and Michael." 140. It smelled great while it was cooking but the final product was very bland. Mr bc couldn’t contain his delight and greedily gobbled up almost half the dish. This really was a delicious dish. I simply can’t imagine my lamb without rosemary so in it went along w parsley and thyme. Something went wrong. Union Square Cafe Cookbook: 160 Favorite Recipes from New York's Acclaimed Restaurant. Photos here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/875826#7990509, p. 192 I’ve tried a number of recipes over the years and, even wrote to the restaurant who kindly provided a recipe, of sorts. I made the following changes: subbed cannelini for flageolet, fennel for celery, parsley for mint, Delicious! In 1993, Michael became Danny Meyer's partner. Subbed sage for rosemary and parsley for mint. Wonderful! Danny, his restaurants, and his chefs have earned an unprecedented twenty-five James Beard Awards. "The next best thing to having dinner at the marvelous Union Square Cafe is to know how to prepare the imaginative but simple dishes they create. Winner of the James Beard Award for the Best Restaurant in America, the acclaimed Union Square Cafe serves some of the most imaginative, interesting, and tasty food in America. Hot Garlic Potato Chips, Porcini Gnocchi with Prosciutto and Parmigiano Cream, Grilled Marinated Fillet Mignon of Tuna, Ratatouille-Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms, and Baked Banana Tart with Caramel and Macadamia Nuts are just some of the timeless favorites included in this essential collection. The Union Square Cafe Cookbook: 160 Favorite Recipes from New York's Acclaimed Restaurant, Steamed asparagus with Sauternes vinaigrette, Fried calamari with spicy anchovy mayonnaise, Braised escarole and white beans with tomatoes, mushrooms, and Pecorino, Roast stuffed eggplant with spicy tomato sauce, Linguine with spinach, garlic, and olive oil, Orecchiette with broccoli rabe and tomatoes, Penne with Gorgonzola, beets, and toasted walnuts, Braised lamb shanks with garlic and herbs, Herbed potato salad with bacon and scallions, Pan-roasted salmon with citrus-balsamic vinaigrette, Seared sea scallops with lemon vinaigrette, broccoli rabe, and roast tomatoes, Seared salmon with sweet corn, shiitake mushrooms, and balsamic vinegar butter sauce, Three-grain pilaf with almonds and shiitake mushrooms, Stuffed chicken breasts with herbed goat cheese, Mashed sweet potatoes with balsamic vinegar, Hashed Brussels sprouts with poppy seeds and lemon, Family Table: Favorite Staff Meals from Our Restaurants to Your Home, Mix Shake Stir: Cocktails for the Home Bar: Recipes from Danny Meyer's Acclaimed New York City Restaurants, Mix Shake Stir: Cocktails for Cooks: Recipes from Danny Meyer's Acclaimed New York City Restaurants, Second Helpings from Union Square Cafe: 140 New Recipes from New York's Acclaimed Restaurant, Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business, Setting the Table: Lessons and Inspirations from One of the World's Leading Entrepreneurs, Click here to add past issues of the magazine to your Bookshelf. Sold by North Star LLC and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. Excellent. I will definitely make this again! Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Until then, I can cook Union Square's food." And you have a search engine for ALL your recipes! This book does not currently have any reviews. I made a little pan sauce w the drippings. Would make this one again. While I did question whether to use a half cup of sherry vinegar (I did) and, though I needed to adjust the cooking method to ensure the fennel cooked properly ultimately we were delighted with this fresh, flavourful dish, it really wowed our guests. He is the recipient of numerous nominations and awards, including the James Beard Foundation's Best Chef in New York City in 2001, and in 2000, he was inducted into the James Beard Foundation's Who's Who of Food & Beverage in America.