), The Secret Science of Solving Crossword Puzzles, Racist Phrases to Remove From Your Mental Lexicon. Today, commercial sour cream can contain the addition of lactic acid, gelatin or guar gum. Originally, making sour cream involved allowing fresh cream to sour naturally. The history behind it? I was surprised he had never heard of it nor had he tried it (he thought I was crazy at first) Can anyone tell me where this recipe originated from? When using sour cream, it is a good idea to use the product with one to two days after opening the container, and should be kept in a refrigerator that is set at temperature that is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. My family has always eaten them, and my mom says she learned it in Santa Maria, California, where I was born. I’ve never heard of this and sour cream on strawberries sounded strange, but somehow this was amazing! It’s loaded with strawberries, both in the centre and on top, plus it’s moist, and not too sweet. It’s strawberry season! but thanks for sharing it with me.I will try it. Not only is it an interactive and fun conversation starter at a party, but the response you will get is priceless. Still have questions? Santa Maria is a strawberry-growing area, and my mom says that upon moving elsewhere, the only people she ever met who d already had this treat had also lived in the Santa Maria, CA, area (stationed at Vandenberg AFB) and learned it there. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It doesn't seem like something one would just randomly come up with. I didn't believe this would be good either until I tried it. Wikipedia, for example, has entries for things like "Beef Stroganoff" and "Eggs Benedict", but nothing for strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar. Don't people like fresh food? Beat with a mixer until this becomes thick. I was surprised he had never heard of it nor had he tried it (he thought I was crazy at first) Can anyone tell me where this recipe originated from? I do not know the origin of the desert, but my Mother was from Montreal and she is of Irish and Caribbean decent. What’s not to like? Would it be weird to have corned beef and cabbage for Christmas dinner? Get your answers by asking now. If you know, please share. do you use tried and true receipes for thanksgiving dinners or experiment? You can sign in to vote the answer. Dissolve Jello and add frozen strawberries, pineapple, and mix. The sour creams blends well with the sugar, making the whole thing taste like strawberries with whipped cream. DIRTY STRAWBERRY. The bacterial culture, which is introduced either deliberately or naturally, sours and thickens the cream. Boy was I wrong. Strawberry sour cream cake is easy to make, perfect for entertaining and completely delicious using simple and inexpensive pantry staples. Place strawberries into glasses and spoon over the sauce. I think this will have to be a regular method of eating strawberries! Would eggs with a use by date of 4th November, 2020 still be edible? What is your favorite brand of cheese to use for making lasagna ? Makes 3 to 4 servings. Originally, making sour cream involved allowing fresh cream to sour naturally. How many chicken nuggets is enough to fill you up. Today, commercial sour cream can contain the addition of lactic acid, gelatin or guar gum. Ive never heard of it before. When I was little I always used to eat my strawberries dipped in sour cream and then brown sugar. I've never heard of it, so I doubt there is any history for it, especially if it doesn't have a name and its not a term everyone knows. Why do most people cook thanksgiving food the night before or even two days before. Reply. Let strawberries drain. You may use light, but I would try the fat version first. 11 thoughts on “ Strawberries with Sour Cream and Brown Sugar ” Tandy | Lavender and Lime May 8, 2020 at 3:26 am. while I was growing up my family ate peanut butter mayonaise and onion sandwiches . Is a shallot much different in taste than regular or green onions? The history behind it? Fact Check: What Power Does the President Really Have Over State Governors? I remember that the thought of strawberries dipped in sour cream and then brown sugar was not appealing. Light Brown Sugar: Dark is ok too, but light may be a bit more delicate. I call these things Family treasures.I wish there was a site where people could share these things. Sour cream is suitable for a variety of dishes, including beef stroganoff sauce, dips, breads and salad dressings. When I was little I always used to eat my strawberries dipped in sour cream and then brown sugar. Mix together heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and the brandy. She also makes a cucumber salad made with onions, salt, sugar and heavy cream and that is definitely Polish. I know that nowadays you can get strawberries year round, BUT they don’t taste like they do right now. It doesn't seem like something one would just randomly come up with. anyway you try mine (If you dare) and Ill try yours. Fresh Strawberries: Wash and pat dry thoroughly. Who doesn’t love these ingredients? I hear that grapes work too and I think that fresh peaches are a shoe in! Is the Coronavirus Crisis Increasing America's Drug Overdoses? Click Here to Say Hey. I ve always had them -- they were a regular dessert rotation when in season and I remember them when I was in kindergarten for sure because we lived in a townhouse for six months while they were fixing the house we moved into (I m over 50)... my mom had them before me as a kid... wondering if it is a Polish thing? Boy was I wrong. Will 5G Impact Our Cell Phone Plans (or Our Health?! Pour half into dish and when jelled, spread sour cream and top with remaining Jello. I was told it was a southern thing. Sour Cream: I use whole milk sour cream. I grew up eating fresh strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar. When I want to fancy them up, I either drizzle w/ sweetened condensed milk or make the recipe below: Wash strawberries, and cut the tops off.