Maybe I’m applying way less oil to protect them? Best pasta ever , I made a homemade batch of marinara, and this was just delicious. I love your use of red pepper flakes in pasta dishes – I’d never tried that but it gives them such warmth and depth. Ever. Galletto, and Ruth Rogers and Rose Gray in the River Cafe Classic Italian Cookbook, thinly slice the aubergine, which looks prettier than the more common diced version, but proves less practical to eat; Caz Hildebrand and Jacob Kenedy’s 2cm cubes in the Geometry of Pasta are far easier to scoop up with a forkful of noodles than these rounds, or indeed Marcella Hazan’s larger chunks. I have a family of picky eaters but my 9 year old LOVED it, even with the red pepper – its *just* enough to not scare off a child. Not that I’m averse to a spot of oil, you understand (one of the reasons that many things taste much better in Italian restaurants is, I suspect, the amount of oil and salt they fling in), but the caramelised sweetness of the baked version in chef Sara Jenkins’s recipe in Saveur magazine swings it for me. This is a must have. Let stand, tossing occasionally, for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Thank you, Maria! Make a quick tomato sauce: Put 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. I have all my kitchen essentials on my shop page. Absolutely LOVED this recipe! Quick question – Is that correct roast 1/2 inch eggplant rounds for 45 min at 425 degrees? She peels her aubergine before use, which seems a shame, as its skin is such a beautiful colour, while Rogers and Gray call for the pale, round Italian variety which yields beautiful big rounds, but tastes, as far as I can tell, very similar to its longer cousin; so use whatever looks best when buying. As a thank you, we'll give you our welcome guide with 5 printable dinner recipes. If you’re using store-bought marinara, warm it in a pot over medium-low heat while you cook the pasta. :) Eggplant preparations for pasta alla Norma differ. Spaghetti works well, but the cartwheels do the best job of trapping Hazan’s thicker, jammier sauce, though I suspect twists or other larger round shapes would be equally successful. Taste and adjust seasoning. Hello there! I just wanted to tell you I recently subscribed to your emails and I am really enjoying your recipes and stories behind them!! Will definitely make again! Thank you for sharing, Amanda. Turn heat to low and cover pot until it’s time to cook the pasta. But I brushed them evenly as I could, with a pastry brush dipped in oil…. Recipe yields 4 entrée servings. Meanwhile, heat the other half of the oil in a wide pan over a medium heat and add the garlic. Let me know what you think! Made this for dinner last night and it was SO good! We’ll use a pretty generous amount, about 1/2 cup or an entire small store-bought container. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Felicity Cloake’s perfect pasta alla norma, n unpromising name, for us Brits at least, calling to mind as it does a woman known more for her. Beautiful sauce- I ate it with DeCecco’s cavatappi pasta and it “caught” the eggplant and tomato chunks perfectly. The sweetness of tinned is the perfect foil to the acidity of even the ripest fresh British kind, so I will be going down the Hildebrand and Kenedy route and using a combination of the two. I actually made for lunch (I’m retired! ) Thanks! Cook the pasta following pack instructions, then drain well, reserving some of the cooking water. Place the eggplant on the lined baking sheets. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Oh, my name is also Norma. Miss you, lady! Roasting eggplant is easier and less messy. We’re going back to Sicily! I have always eaten this in restaurants where it is made with the eggplant being cubed. We won’t bother salting the eggplant before roasting—it’s truly unnecessary with modern eggplants. Season to taste with additional salt (I usually add ¼ teaspoon more) and black pepper. And that’s the way I’ve cooked it ever since. https://salvoitaliancuisine.com/pasta-alla-norma-sicilian-recipe I’m excited you loved it, Carol! and after my partner and I devoured it, I had to decide if I was gonna keep the other two servings for tomorrow, or share them with someone I knew would also love it. This recipe was great! The Sicilian composer Vincenzo Bellini adored it with such a passion that it was eventually named after his 19th-century opera "Norma" — or so goes the story. Hi Cait, I suggest it as is and not sure that would get you your desired result, sorry! Thank you for your review, Rachel. It is not the only option: Galletto prefers parmesan. (Sauce may be prepared up to 2 days in advance.). Which is just about everyone I know! My mouth is watering after looking at, and reading these amazing ingredients in this dish. Set aside. Would I need to reduce the amount of liquid? Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until al dente, which means that it should be soft enough to eat, but still have a bit of bite and firmness to it. Use an Italian variety if you want to be as authentic as possible. Pour the tomato sauce over the hot pasta. Thanks for another great recipe. Ran out of fresh basil so I used dried but I will definitely like to try making it again with a bunch of fresh basil.