It’s constructed of carbon steel for quick and even heating, but it’s also Teflon coated. She wanted a round edge to get into the pan corners and she liked cooking to be quiet. The different shades of brown and black in the pans displayed below are just the results of a lot of use and the build-up of seasoning that is necessary to make these pans non-stick. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. I can’t remember all 100 dishes now; many were specialties from Shanghai where she grew up, and Chinese comfort food, festival foods enjoyed during the dragon boat fest or Chinese New Year. This gives you an effortless non-stick surface that’s easy to clean and requires no seasoning before the initial use. I've owned a number of different woks over time, including carbon steel pans which require seasoning and those lined with a non-stick surface, as well as flat and round-bottomed types I … Good question. Manufacturers want us to buy these cheap, unsafe pieces of cookware that we will have to replace in a month or two of use. This way there were no hot spots; high sides enable stirring without food falling out. Helen: A Flat-bottom fits securely on a burner; it’s safer, and more stable. It's not shiny smooth really - the surface shows wear and what looks like gristle spots across it but no tell-tale flakes. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. The pan-style below is perfect because it allows you to use a spatula to get under your food without creating a mess. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! ____________________________________________, This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you want the perfect gift that will be truly different, then look no further. Pan itself is about 1mm thick. In a Chinese kitchen the wok is used daily, and often sits on the burner just waiting for the next meal to be made in it, so seasoning is not a problem. I already bought (and returned) one of those copper-colored non-stick pans that they advertise on TV. This sounds like it might make food taste better but it doesn’t, it just keeps the pan from rusting. Selecting the type of wok that works best for you can be hard enough, but looking after it once you have found it can also be a struggle. When cooking for a dinner party, or using a high volume ingredient like noodles, I use the 14” but when cooking for myself I use the 12.” It’s about personal preference. In terms of being exposed to food, I was. Sometimes we look for a special gift we can give to the person that has everything. N: How long should a cook expect to keep a well-cared-for wok? Do you have words of advice to ease the mind of a timid first time wok user or potential purchaser? Finding the best carbon steel wok will become easier if you have a quick view of my comparison chart. I sauté the meat, and brown onions in it. This makes it much easier to clean because the inside of the pan is smooth. A carbon steel wok or a non-stick wok?”. Some of the mandolines out of Japan are very useful for julienne ingredients. If you like to season, get carbon steel. Then remove from heat, wipe off excess oil and allow to cool. It’s not that expensive, but performs well. In China, they had a stove with a hole and the round-bottom wok sat in the hole, with the base close to the heat source. If those chips are in my food, what toxic effects could I experience?eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'carbonsteelcookware_com-leader-1','ezslot_5',124,'0','0'])); The labels on most of the newer types of non-stick pans indicate that there are no harmful coatings or toxic materials in their pans. If you want that bird to be the centerpiece at your Friendsgiving table, follow Erika Nakamura (whole animal butcher) as she teaches us this technique. You can hardly go wrong if the cookware is made of carbon steel. Helen Chen is a widely acknowledged expert in Chinese cooking. N: Many home chefs enjoy stir fry, but may be intimidated by the idea of using a wok at home. Growing up we never had a round-bottom wok, mother didn’t believe in them because she felt it didn’t fit properly on the American stove even with the ring which is used to support the wok when  on a regular range, helping direct heat to the bottom of the wok and provide stability. So I picked up this wok from an estate sale. ( Log Out /  Helen: I would recommend a high quality non-stick pan coated with a premium non-stick coating like Excalibur. We were living in Cambridge at this time, where I grew up. This pan will outlast any of those big-box-store cheap pans.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'carbonsteelcookware_com-leader-2','ezslot_14',132,'0','0'])); Remember that with all carbon steel cookware it needs to be seasoned before use.