Estar is always used to talk about a person or object's location. Él está en la escuela. T When you are talking about where [something/someone] is in Spanish, you use the verb estar + [location].Take a look at these examples: Want to make sure your Spanish sounds confident? Está muy húmedo. Students will need to learn when to use each verb. He is in the supermarket. Icons are color coded by Spanish level: Full list of teacher resources here. To say something or someone is somewhere in Spanish, it is most common to use the verb estar. H This can be either a temporary or permanent location. G Él está en el supermercado. N It's very humid. We offer free self-study courses for students of all levels. We’ll map your knowledge and give you free lessons to focus on your Estar is commonly used to talk about location, either permanent or changeable. I am sick. Él está en la escuela. B She is in the cafeteria. Él está en la cama. C For example, to say that Roberta is at home, you can say simply: Roberta está en casa. Ella está en casa. Z. L gaps and mistakes. It doesn't matter which place/city/island we are talking about; everytime we say "where" something or someone is (locating it) we use estar: Las Islas Canarias están en el océano Atlántico . P Using "Estar" with Locations. Mi madre está en la cocina. Yo estoy enfermo. Q Hundreds of Spanish worksheets from which to choose. Although it is an extremely common verb, estar can be confusing for many Spanish students because it is usually translated as "to be," just like the verb ser.Although they can often be translated the same way, ser and estar are distinct verbs with distinct meanings and are seldom synonymous. Hello I am studying ser/estar at the moment and am confused with regards to location which I understand is temporary and comes under estar but I have completed some exercises recently where the phrase 'Madrid es la capital de Espana' (ser) and another phrase 'Caracas esta en Venezuela' which ties in with the location part of estar. V I He is in the school. Usually, for location you use "estar" because at one moment you're at one place but later you can be somewhere else. Start your Braimap today », Kwiziq Spanish is a product of and © Kwiziq Ltd 2020, Using ser (not estar) to express an essential or permanent characteristic, Using ser (not estar) to say when / where something takes place, Using estar (not ser) when talking about feelings and emotions, Using ser (not estar) to talk about time, days, dates and seasons. (My mum is in the kitchen.) Estar is commonly used to talk about location, either permanent or changeable. Free resources to help you enjoy learning Spanish quickly. However, in some situations it is also possible to use ser, the main other verb for " to be ," as well as verbs used primarily for location. Events, on the other hand, usually have their whole existence tied to a single place, so they "are" there until they're no more. Black icons are unrelated to Spanish level. D If you wanted to say, “I am sick,” or, “I am lost,” in Spanish, you’d be mistaken to use the “to be” verb that you previously learned, ser. Learning Spanish should be fun. He is in the school. R Y The place you are is a temporary condition. W S Orange = Advanced. “Ser” only describes permanent or nearly permanent states, such as being married ( casado) or being tall ( alto) or skinny ( flaco ). Games and activities featuring high-quality images and audio. He is in the bed. is used to classify and identify permanent or lasting attributes. Green = Beginner Use our free online Spanish test to estimate your level of fluency. While both ser and estar can translate to to be in English, they aren't interchangeable in Spanish. X Ella está en casa. The second “to be” verb in Spanish, estar, is used to describe location, health, or any condition that is only temporary. We already know that estar is used to talk about something that is changeable or is a departure from the norm, such as feelings or weather. F He is in the supermarket. J Ella está en la cafetería. E is used to indicate temporary states and locations. M O K She is at home. U (The Canary Islands are in the Atlantic.) He is in the bed. She is at home. Using Estar for Location. Él está en el supermercado. Él está en la cama. A Blue = Intermediate