The blend is appreciated for its freshness and its satisfying taste. d.Thyme is one of the best blood purifiers. It goes with so many things. I have also heard that it is commonly used in Jamaican jerk seasonings and salt cod. Jamaican thyme is very similar to plain English Thyme but it’s flavour is much stronger. Disclaimer: All herbs and spices listed on http://www.islandherbsandspices.com/ or sold for medical and household use only, again we advice that before using any HERBS for medical purposes, please consult your physician. Now it will be regulary on my shopping list, I may also try to plant it on my window ;), Terry, thank you for the tip to crush it to release flavour! Coffee & Vanilla is protected with PIXSY . There are 2 herbs we Jamaicans call thyme due to scent and taste: If you would like to purchase prints & other photo goodies, please visit our store. Naturalized patches have been seen in western Massachusetts. Unlike many herbs it will not go dormant so you can keep harvesting the leaves all year long. Lemon Thyme added to marinade is great with fish or chicken. I tried it this way and didn’t mind it although I found the boiling water brought out the stronger thyme flavor and reduced that hard-to-place fragrant smell that is so strong when you rub the leaves. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. It is one of my favorite herbs. Jamaican thyme is the Jamaican strain of the thyme herb used for its culinary and medicinal properties. © All text & images from this site are subject of copyrights. Mature Jamaican thyme can be harvested all year round and the herb features a very distinctive fragrance. CARIBBEAN THYME. I personally lean towards the second option. The herb also has soothing properties and is used to calm the nerves and treat insomnia. Use the spicy little leaves every day to combine and blend beautifully with the flavors of lemon, garlic, basil and parsley for seasoning vegetables, seafood and poultry. For the Greeks, thyme represented style and elegance. I grew it last year summer, but it did not survive the winter indoors. I always have some in my garden. As mentioned above this plant is not short on common names and is regularly listed under two different Latin names, Coleus amboinicus and Plectranthus amboinicus. Rooted plant. It also has a lovely, citrusy fragrance. It stimulates the flow of blood to the skin surface. Jamaican thyme is also known as Indian Borage. Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site. Ilike Thyme or what is called Zaatar in Arabic to mixed it with boiled tea.its very healthy,and it makes my blood warm.i usually have it before i sleep. Thyme, like parsley, goes with everything-veal, lamb, beef, poultry, fish, stuffing, stews, soups, sauces, stock, herb butters, flavoured vinegars, beans, lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, cheese, onions, cucumbers, carrots, eggplant, leeks, mushrooms, eggs, and rice. Thyme usually dominates the taste produced by the herb mixture. The leaves of the Jamaican Thyme may be removed from the stem or used on a whole when adding to certain dishes. Subscribe to get weekly updates from Gayla. Jamaican thyme’s antiseptic properties make it useful to treat yeast infections and combat parasites such as tapeworms and hookworms. It is native to the western Mediterranean area, and now widely cultivated throughout temperate climes. Coffee & Vanilla is protected with PIXSY. I would love to participate one month.. Gayla is a writer, photographer, and former graphic designer with a background in the Fine Arts, cultural criticism, and ecology. Tie it to the handle of the pot for easy removal. The plant is a tropical perennial and will not survive a cold winter outdoors, but taking a cutting or two to grow in a pot is as easy as snipping off a chunk with a pair of scissors and popping it into some water or moist soil.