You could pick a solid base color that matches the color of your mica metallic paint or you might try tinting the primer too. I like things dark or with high contrast, and he prefers a much lighter and softer palette. Your email address will not be published. You need to consider how you would normally paint plastic models. Paint along with her and learn from her many mistakes, and you’ll soon make great art together. Join us to connect with fellow pourers, get beginners tips, giveaways and more. Use it to coat bar tops, tables, chairs and doors to make stunning arts. They have several types to pick from. The key is knowing where to look. Other grades consist of rather large flakes with an enhanced shimmer. This will make your work stand out and give it more contrast and visual appeal. Interference micas are white micas with a thin coating of tin oxide that bends light to create a shimmer of a specific color. Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on October 23, 2019: Very interesting. The widest selection will be at the venders that sell supplies to making cosmetics. Thinking about art projects where you can use mica powder? Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Then a stroke released a new wave of creativity and she began exploring with dot painting, abstract and eventually acrylic pouring, and at last the joy of working with color returned. For solvent based, you can add mica pigments to clear lacquer and spray. These high-quality pigments tint the acrylic base around the mica powder Adding to the dimension and depth effects metallic paint offers. By adding a color a similar hue as the interference pigment, an enhanced pearlescent color is produced. The thickness of applied layer determines what color is produced. Thank you. For water based acrylics, you just use a spray primer that bonds to plastic and then mix mica with acrylic emulsion medium and apply on primer. Painting; Mix the mica powder with your painting media such as oil or acrylic. This is the same as with any paint color, and a basic knowledge of color theory applies here. Their low price, low toxicity, and ease of use mean they are widely available online. Opaque inorganic oxides can be used somewhat but sparingly to prevent loss of the iridescent property of mica pigments. In the mini-trial I had been a bit concerned that the paints were a little thin, having just mixed the mica powder with the Floetrol, so this time I mixed them with a 50/50 mixture of PVA glue and Floetrol. That way a person can change the view periodically from one side to the other. The wet result is stunning, but the dry result was a little bit gritty all over. These pigments “come to life“ when applied over a black or dark surface. It will give the painting a whole level of depth and quality. For example, a blue mica and a red mica should give a purple or violet mica, depending on the brightness and purity of the original colors. Use this mixture to paint a pre-cleaned glass before you put it in the kiln at 1325° F. Yes, you heard it right- mica powder can also be used to color soap. Dyes/stains are molecules that can dissolve in water where pigments are granules that do not break apart down to a molecular level. Mica pigments are used in art and interior design, cosmetics, automotive paint, and even soaps and toiletries. Adding it into resin is a technique used for creating depth and complexity to the cured coating. I hear the best you can get are from https://www.colourarte.com/ although I’ve not tried them personally. Note: For transparent melt, use ½ tsp mica powder per pound of melt. Acrylic Pouring is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com. In the mini-trial I had been a bit concerned that the paints were a little thin, having just mixed the mica powder with the Floetrol, so this time I mixed them with a 50/50 mixture of PVA glue and Floetrol. You need to mix it first with a glass glue (or Bullseye Glastac) and rubbing alcohol. Mix together 2 parts mica, 1 part Glastac, and 1 part rubbing alcohol. We always had very different ideas of art anyway. Loved those gold burgundy colors. Sometimes, a pigment dispersion or dry pigment might be too much of a capital investment if you just want to slightly adjust the hue of a mica-based paint. If you very carefully taped up the back to make sure no drips of paint ran over and then you have a doubled sided artwork! Hope that helps! mini trial with the home made mica paints, Supplies to Get Started With Acrylic Pouring, The Complete Acrylic Pouring Techniques Guide, 40 Essential Tips for Acrylic Pouring Beginners, Ultimate Guide for Using Silicone to Create Beautiful Cells. You can be as creative as you want to be. Also, you can bias your finish with a similar colored base coat. You don’t need ‘talent’ to be an acrylic pouring artist – just enthusiasm, some basic instruction, and a willingness to try, fail and try again. If you have questions, we have answers! The simplest method of making special-color pearl paint is just mixing two colored micas together. Mica powder is a lightweight, soft, and smooth material that produces a metallic-like finish on any surface. If it doesn’t work out, it will be easy to scrape and wash off the record for another time. Mica powder is so versatile you can simply add it to your acrylic paint, oil paint or any other paint medium you are using and this will then give your painting depth. Some are very fine, iridescent pearl white powders. Small tubes of acrylic or oil paints can be had cheaply and readily in any craft store. I want to have a go at making my own light pinkish pearl effect acrylic paint to paint a small dresser.