Using a small ruler, position its edge along the short sashing strip (between the blocks) and mark the edge of the long sashing strip on both seams. • I used to flip fabric, place pins just so, hold my breath . It’s a Peppermint Snowball, I’m not ready to decorate for Christmas yet, but, A finish for Friday! I use a 45 degree angle when piecing border strips because it TENDS to make the seam less noticeable. That’s a great way to do it, wish I would have thought of it, LOL Thanks for sharing! After you sew a long sashing strip to the top or bottom of a row, draw registration lines on the unsewn edge of the long sashing strip. How to line up smashing and how to pronounce cacophony. You can see an example of that in my Franklin Star pattern. You’ll have a seam to match where the cornerstone is instead of a long piece of sashing. Your blocks should line up perfectly, and be stacked neatly. I always used Pins, and alignment was hard and not always accurate . Now why didn’t I think of that!?!? So – sashing it is! Thanks a lot. NOW, I know how to confidently connect the blocks! This idea is brilliant in its simplicity and I’ll be using it the next time I make a quilt with sashing! Thank you so much. I’ll try this next time and see if I can do better. I learned two things today. The first time I added sashing to a quilt, I had no idea that it mattered how they were sewn on. Well, if you’re not careful, your quilt blocks will not line up from row to row and you’ll get a slightly topsy turvy effect (without the wine). Your support enables me to maintain the content of this blog and I am truly grateful! I used to have crooked rows, then I started using cornerstones. It gives the border a cleaner look, I think. Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. I’m sure there are other ways to line up sashing strips, but I hope this gives you a little direction the next time you make a quilt that has them. You’re like window to the world for me. Thank you for the suggestion. My #modastitchpink quilt bloc, A little EPP tonight in front of the fire while wa. What could possibly go wrong? These sashing rows can then be sewn between the quilt block rows. I only promote products and services that I use and love myself. This is a great tip. It seems so simple, thanks for the timely tip! Learn how your comment data is processed. This method is much quicker! I do have one question regarding your beautiful cardinal quilt. Quilt blocks can then be sewn together with sashing strips as when adding a simple sashing — remember to press seams toward the sashing strips. Thanks for sharing. It’s an easy process, though, and doesn’t require a lot of extra fussing. On quilts that don’t have cornerstones, I still used them out of the same sashing fabric just to keep them straight. Step 3: Create the sashing rows by alternating sashing strips and sashing post blocks. After you sew a long sashing strip to the top or bottom of a row, draw registration lines on the unsewn edge of the long sashing strip. Layer the quilt block on top with the front side down (front sides together). Back to the Cardinals quilt. Great question, Mary. I am wanting to know if jelly rolls will work for all of the sashing etc. New as in I started, Sewing binding on my #lincolnstarquilt from last y, I made something new! Read on for 1 great tip on how to sew sashing so quilt blocks line up. Using a small ruler, position its edge along the short sashing strip (between the blocks) and mark the edge of the long sashing strip on both seams.