This is a shortcut, incomplete method, but I have done it this way and it works pretty well. Those are easy and can't possibly hurt the guitar. Can someone direct me to a website or tell me how to lower the action on my new (privately purchased) 90s Mexican strat? Clear editor. Is it as simple as taking off the back metal plate and turning the truss rod(?) Does anyone have any string height measurements that they like for a strat? thanks, KJ. © 1995-2019 Harmony Central, Inc. All rights reserved. thats the beauty of this method. The Gear Page is the leading online community and marketplace for guitars, amps, pedals, effects and associated gear. Clearly you are not every experienced so I suggest you stick with adjusting the saddles or take it to a pro. Do this for all strings one at a time. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Pick up the latest issue of Premier Guitar mag. Oh and the final step, check the intonation. --how much to turn, which direction--strings are about 1/4" + from the neck at the pickup end of the neck, would like to get them down to 1/8", no time to take it to a shop , need it done quickly. Display as a link instead, × Then pickup height. Paste as plain text instead, × that should definately wait until youve seen a tech do it, and ask questions and make sure you understand from him what exactly he is doing - what he is looking for, and all that good stuff. If you file too much, you'll need to get the nut replaced. Raise or lower each saddle as in steps 1 through 3 using a higher or lower target measurement to adjust the action to your liking. I got my first strat about a year ago, and I absolutely love it.. its not hard but it needs to be done - otherwise like i mentioned when you play a chord - some of the notes/strings will sound out of tune. Is the neck fairly straight? the truss rod is also something that is part of the "balance" of a guitar. be careful though and only lower them a little and play around to see how it feels. Is it as simple as taking off the back metal plate and turning the truss rod(?) Or do I just lower the saddle heights? You can start at the nut & check the action from the first fret, but most likely that doesn't need adjusting. Thank you all..I will try to adjust the bolts on the bridge as suggested earlier, anything else is too risky probably for me to attempt---I will get it to a professional asap otherwise, I can live with minor adjustments for the moment. If the 12th fret note is lower, move the saddle piece closer to the nut. × Given the way the question was asked--My answer is quite different-- take it to a guitar tech for a professional setup! However, I would love to have the action a LITTLE lower. The low E string seems to be really close to the first fret, so I dont know how to go about keeping that from buzzing. That gives you more room to get the action down. You can post now and register later. Start with adjusting the relief on your neck using the truss rod. A good start might be a CAREFUL, step-by-step reading of Fender's own tutorial on doing a set-up on a Stratocaster: http://fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php. even then, truss rods are something you should not attempt to mess with until you have some experience. You can also adjust pickup height when you're done. Assuming you've got a classic trem on there, each string saddle has two tiny allen bolts that dictate string height. Just know that you can expect the intonation to be off (guitar is in tune, but chords and scales may sound sour). Use a radii gauge so that you don't have some crazy problem with the rest of the strings. I like to check the neck relief before altering string height. So, take a shot at the action adjustment at the saddles and do the intonation too.   Pasted as rich text. alot of things come into play here, alot of minor little things and when you go changing something (like string height) it can throw alot of other things out of whack.