Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness! The first time I had it, I immediately fell in love with it. Nutty, earthy-flavored tempeh boasts more protein, fiber, and calories than tofu, which is also made from soybeans (soybean curds pressed into blocks of varying firmness). TEMPEH! and all kinds of bowls. Have you tried it? The initial method that I used, which I blogged about in 2012, were the directions from the shop where I get the rhizopus mould or tempeh starter from. Often tempeh is considered a strange food that may leave you scratching your head trying to figure out what exactly to do with it. Enjoy! Set aside. Transfer tempeh to parchment or silico lined baking pan. Steaming is also ideal for cooking tempeh in all shapes and forms, including cubes, crumbles, strips, or triangles. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s get into how to cook this nutrient packed ingredient. Stir the tempeh once again and then let it cook for another 3-5 minutes or until sauce is almost fully absorbed and you get some charred pieces. Let the tempeh cook without stirring for 3-4 minutes until the sauce is mostly absorbed. Once all the sauce is absorbed, let it cook for another 1-2 minutes until you get some browning/crispy edges. To steam tempeh, fill a small pot with a few inches of water. These are ready-to-eat and usually do not have to be pre-cooked. Coat with reserved marinade and serve immediately. Because it's firm, sliced tempeh holds together well during cooking. Place … Transfer tempeh to oil sprayed or parchment lined air fryer basket. This is not in all actuality "pre-cooking" but a way to ensure it will be shelf-stable when packaged and sold in stores. If you wish to freeze the finished tempeh, steam the tempeh over boiling water for 20 minutes to cook then slice into patties and soak overnight in salt water (2 teaspoons salt to one pint water). Rinse and dry the tempeh with paper towels. … To do it, first cut it in half lengthwise, then make a diagonal cut lengthwise and slice it into thin triangles. After flipping, brush more marinate on the other side for more flavour. NOTE: In the examples above, I used the marinades from my 5 Best Tempeh Marinades post. Again, simmering tempeh prior to cooking (using the methods below) helps get rid of the bitterness of tempeh. How to cook tempeh. Alternatively, fry it in a pan with a lug of olive oil. It’s great for vegan ‘beef’ bowls, made as bacon bits, tacos, casseroles, salads and all kinds of bowls. Marinated, baked, air fried, pan fried, sautéed & crumbled– so versatile and the perfect high protein addition to any plant based meal! I’m so happy you stopped by. Add sauce and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Certainly. If you wish to freeze the finished tempeh, steam the tempeh over boiling water for 20 minutes to cook then slice into patties and soak overnight in salt water (2 teaspoons salt to one pint water). This is completely preference and optional. These are some great tips for cooking tempeh, along with delicious recipes to give it a try.. What is tempeh? Tempeh is quite similar to extra firm tofu in terms of its firmness and is excellent at holding its shape when cooked. Air frying tofu is a quicker way to cook tofu. Stir the tempeh once again and then let it cook for another 3-5 minutes or until sauce is almost fully absorbed and you get some charred pieces. This method is best prior to pan frying tempeh so that you can do it all in one pan. Dig in! Your email address will not be published. Cut tempeh into triangles. Bring the water to a boil and let it steam for 10-15 minutes. TIP: simmer tempeh as instructed above in the same pan to save time (this is optional). Vacuum-sealed and pre-packaged tempeh is almost always pasteurized. Still, I recommend you cook the pre-packaged tempeh before using it in your recipes. Tempeh can be the basis of a meal, after marinating or being added to something like a vegetable stew, giving both bulk and protein; there are … Great for stir fries, sandwiches, wraps and grain bowls. Learn how to make tempeh delicious with this Ultimate Guide on How to Cook Tempeh. Add a small amount of water or oil to a non stick fry pan/skillet over medium high heat. Welcome to Okonomi Kitchen! Vacuum-sealed and pre-packaged tempeh is almost always pasteurized.