Hi! Add the next piece to the middle, extending all the way across the last piece. The first trick comes early! My stitches are close to the sides of the strip, but not too close: the decorative stitches I will make will cover them later. Come play block lotto with me http://patchesquiltworks.blogspot.com/2008/10/block-loto_30.html, Thank you sooo much. I was asked by a quilting friend if I could learn how to bind so I could bind her quilts. I should have done a test run the other day to see if the seams in my binding overlapped with any corners but I didn't...of course that was the day that every seam hit every corner...what a pain! This is the way I do my bindings but I have to say that you created an excellent tutorial. ok - im gonna try it. That corner is brillant! My binding is the most beautiful part of the quilt. I did it eventually - but I wish I'd seen this first! I completed the binding on a potholder that has been sitting on the side since last January. Wonderful tutorial! I love the corners! but if not, I'll try to explain it further.aj, Thank you so much for this tutorial. The prepared source code will help you to integrate the banner into your blog. You can improvise and create a different look every time! what do you do at the end? Here's how it turned out: http://craftymisst.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-quilt-finish.html. So each block should be cut to 28 x 41 cm if you follow the scheme. It is fun to make such crazy quilts! Some quilters were asking me if the quilt won’t be too heavy after adding another fabric, but that is no problem. Thanks for this excellent pictured tutorial. I am using presser foot #1D, because I can also use the Dual Feed: it works a bit like a Walking Foot. Thank you! I'm also new to sewing so your tutorials come in VERY handy - thank you so so much! I've always wondered how you get such pretty corners. To attach the front and back, simply baste the edges together before permanently binding them. Thanks so much. Definitely going in my favs for the next quilty project.Thanks.xMx. Great job! I wanted to do a small project first, before trying a quilt, and I was so frustrated about the binding part. https://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2008/10/binding-tutorial.html Normally the size is indicated on your paperpatterns: solid line + dotted line = cut size, but if you have made your sandwiches/blocks larger, you can use that measurement, but be sure all stitches/rows are made to the sides of the blocks. This is the number of binding strips needed. Part II-Attaching the binding to the quilt. . My own blocks are cut back tot 30 x 43 cm, 2 cm wider and higher than the original size, because I want to keep as much of the effects and decorative stitches as possible. Thank you! Great tutorial, as usual! Please share your pictures in the Community of this Blog. 1 first, 2nd next to it, 3rd and 4th to complete the top row. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. I have a billion tutorials on bindings and I searched through all my stuff because I knew this one was in there somewhere. Thanks for the clear and concise directions. This was a very easy to understand tutorial. now on to my other dilemma ... i don't know how to hand stich at the corners! Thank you for all the inspiration! i had been marking them with a fabric pen before! Luckily I found your tutorial! Online Crazy Quilting Classes: Just a quick reminder for those who are interested in taking a class with me. Thank you so very much... this is exactly the information I was looking for and it makes so much sense with the pictures!Awesome tutorial! Thank you. I procrastinated on finishing my daughter's quilt for a YEAR because I was so intimated by the binding. I mentioned you here:http://nikkifilosa.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/binding/Thanks again!!! :). Then stitch ¼" away from the edge. this is JUST what i'm needing and is so timely! Cut off the excess strip of binding just past the open right edge. Keep em coming! This is a great tutorial, Thank you! Great tutorial! Place all 12 blocks on a flat surface: 3 rows of 4 blocks each. I would rather do it your way, but I'm not sure how to maintain that 1/4 inch seam. I can revoke my consent to the promotional use of my data at any time and at no cost.*. I understand that my inquiries may be answered by email. Thanks! This is such a great tutorial. thanks for taking the time to put it online for all of us newbies out there! Trim the fabric that extends beyond the seam allowance. Be sure the intersections meet. I am going to post a message on my blog, telling everyone who reads it to come to yours and get ready to make great bindings! Thank you for the well explained tutorial. This is a great tutorial! Then fold the binding back using the outer edge of the quilt as a guide. The time and effort you put into your tutorials is very much appreciated! I have been doing my binding a completely different way but your way makes much better sense to me. Thank you again! I love yours and can't wait to try it! This is awesome. I followed it to the letter and my binding turned out great!Kathy. It was a shiny goldenrod color almost like drapery fabric. Thank you! Tip: Your crazy quilt block involves a lot of sewing, trimming and pressing. As always, thank you. BERNINA What are the two seam lines for? I'M EVEN MORE EXCITED NOW AND SHOULD HOPEFULLY GET STARTED THIS WEEKEND, BUT WITH HOW MY SCHEDUAL GOES, IT WILL PROBABLY BE FOREVER BEFORE IT'S DONE. =oD. I couldn't have finished my quilt without it. Refold the binding and stitch on to the quilt. Just ruins the look of my quilts. Thanks! Thanks so much. You can use the decorative stitches on your sewing machine or try some hand embroidery. And then I was able to put it into action. Sometimes the effect on the sides is so special, you don’t want to cut them away. I love your blog! It's been so helpful! ok, this is a huge help. Round up to the nearest whole number, which is 7. Thanks for the awesome advice. Iron seam, pressing the fabric to one side. I guess a quilter would have known that. That would make mitering easier. Fantastic tutorial !Thank you so much for taking the time to write all these explanations.As a complete beginner, binding feels a little bit intimidating, but the step by step pictures and detailed explanations really make it look much more doable !I'll definitely come back to it. Be careful not to rip the seams you need. which is about as close as you want to be...just in case things shift a bit when you are sewing. Sew 3 strips/sashings onto 4 blocks, for each row. Next, start at the bottom of the quilt. When sewing on bindings I've been doing it basically the same way but when I turn the corners I never did the last stitching that you show before folding the miter. Thank you SO much! Thanks for sharing all of the details on this process. Finish your block by sewing around the entire block, 1/8th of an inch from the edge. Is it a basting stich for your quilt sandwich? This is the best binding tutorial I've seen! Love the blog!!! I love the pinking shears tip!Thanks for taking the time to post this!Michelle. After attaching the backing to your quilt, either with minimal machine quilting or tying, trim the excess backing around the edges and bind to finish your work! I tried this last night and I have to say that I LOVE it! For finishing the quilt you can choose to place an extra backing, covering the back of the blocks. Thank You for this is a very good tutorial. I hate it! The quilt that I am binding is 57" x 73". Finish Quilt Binding. BERNINA 770QE, Dual Feed, presser foot #1D. Strip Cutter-2½" (2" Finished) 2 strips, How to Cut Bias Binding with AccuQuilt GO! If all your blocks are ready, you can assemble the Crazy Crystals Mystery Project 2018. With the pictures and instructions it looks so easy. However, these crazy quilts were made from 1880 until the late 1890's. If you want to make a quilt or another item out of the blocks, you will need additional materials. You don't need to backstitch. It must have taken forever to upload this tutorial. I've learned so much. Thank you so much! Rotary cutter, quilting ruler, and cutting mat. (see sketch below.). Join the Sugaridoo Quilt Along! I absolutely LOVE your site! I always have trouble doing my mitered corners but no more! i usually use hand quilting thread to tack down my bindings, but if you use regular thread, the stitches show much less. You site has been extremely helpful to me - your instructions are so easy to follow!