Coped joints for baseboard look great, but can be time-consuming. Thanks for visiting! I used the Collins Foot on a restaurant bar I built a few years ago, mainly because the crown and baseboard my partner bought cheap were pine and of questionable seasoning. The benefit is that cope joints better eliminate gaps between adjacent pieces of molding especially if the corner isn’t square. If you are right-handed, I suggest moving around the room counter-clockwise (lefties move clockwise). I am installing a 3-1/2″ base board, using my miter saw and the boards on the flat side (horizontal), all my cuts are not coming at 90 degrees with respect to the long side of the board. Could You Have Made it in Construction With These Tools From 1951? http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/finishcarp/baseboard/traditional/install_colonial_base.htm I would definitely have been too intimidated to try this project, but now I’m more open to trying to do it ourselves! I have coped MDF and it works just the same. Home House & Components Parts of House Trim, By the DIY experts of The Family Handyman Magazine. With any luck, you’ll still have a line of raw wood to follow with the file to get a perfect cope. Basically, you want to make sure that when people come into the room, they look down the coped piece of trim, that way they’re not looking into the joint, but onto a full piece of trim. Start out straight up. 12 Pro Grade Power Tools You Can Buy on Amazon, 13 Cool Power Tools and Accessories That Will Make Your Job Easier. I’ve been installing the baseboard molding, and it’s going up pretty quick. The usual way to get tight inside corners on trim is to “cope” them—to cut a profile on one part that will fit over the adjoining part. Make sure you account for the 45° bevel when you measure the length. How to Cut Baseboard with a Coping Saw. If that occurs, cope joints will remain tighter than miter joints. Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. We recommend our users to update the browser. also, files are MUCH more effective than sandpaper. Oh Shannon, thank you, thank you thank you!! It also takes a heck of a lot less time than going back to the store for more wood (not to speak of money saved on wasted materials due to mis-cuts). Baseboard often tilts inward at the bottom because of the drywall's tapered edge. It takes a bit of practice to master the trick, but once you do, you’ll be able to achieve a perfect cope in less than 60 seconds and never grab for the coping saw again. I use it for all my trim work. Both good tips that are time-savers. Measure the other board and make sure to draw an accurate 45-degree cut from the board that you’ve already placed. The directions are pretty straightforward but this technique takes a little skill. I have a really nice Dewalt dual-bevel, compound, sliding mitre saw. This piece should be cut square (0°) and fit snug against the opposite wall. I used the Dremel to cope all the pieces, but I had a scrap piece of crown outside with me to test fit and see where I needed to remove any additional material. We just finished installing baseboards in three rooms. ; 92 degree corner) In bad corners (say, a 92 degree inside corner) if you use a regular chop saw set at 45 degrees, your joint will have an open gap and you will scratch your head, cut a new piece, and the same thing will happen!! I have tried this and it works well with base molding. I didn’t even consider using a Dremel. Info. So, are you saying that we shouldn’t miter the baseboards? •If the base is going to be painted, don’t be a perfectionist—a small gap is easy to fill with caulk. Hello You Designs. For example, if one of your walls is fourteen feet long, consider getting a sixteen foot length of baseboard for that wall, and so on. On baseboards, my usual tactic is: 1) measure the length required two or three times http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/finishcarp/baseboard/traditional/install_colonial_base.htm, Home Depot Coupons, Coupon Codes, 10% Off Sales – FALL/WINTER 2020-2021, AJ Madison Coupons, Sales, Coupon Codes, 40+% Off – FALL/WINTER 2020-2021, Lowes Coupons, Sales, Coupon Codes, 10% Off, Target Coupons, Sales, Coupon Codes, 10%-60% Off – FALL/WINTER 2020-2021, Sears Coupons, Sales, Coupon Codes, 10% Off – FALL 2020/WINTER 2021. If there’s a slight bow, you can cut the end of the 90-degree cut again. http://www.collinstool.com/collins_coping_foot.htm. His tutorial (and site) is pretty good in general, I think. To my point, if you use a coping technique, this will not happen. I’ve done no coped joints on my house renovation. Next time you have some inside corners to cope on standard 1×4 baseboards, try this method for doing the whole process on your miter saw. I did not have them paint all sides (probably should have). For inside corners, it’s better to cope cut them. Those are good tips to read before taking on this project… this can definitely be a tricky diy project if you’ve never done it before. Possibly the most expensive powertool I own. 0:00 / 11:13 Live • We were unable to load Disqus. If that’s the case, it won’t matter how you orient the boards. Watch later. Yes it is a little more work but with a compound miter it is still fast to fine tune your cuts. Did you use the foot on your paneling? And lastly, don’t take your finger off the trigger until you’re clear of the cut. We’ll know better next time! Wish we would have seen this before we installed our base molding. For a DIY I ended up with beautiful tight corners. Over the last eight years we've documented hundreds of home improvement and DIY craft projects along with many tool and material reviews. And that makes coping tricky. That means lots of slow, fussy work with a coping saw. It took a little while to get the technique. Great display. As Ethan mentioned the cut isn’t quite as clean with MDF as with wood, but you can finish the edge so that no one can tell the difference. Slightly angle the blade so as to cut away more from the backside of the baseboard. Good thoughts. You can recut another one in seconds. above the finished cut. Hammer the baseboard in place with some finish nails and make sure their heads are exposed. Using a miter saw for cope joints. The coping saw and I have been buddies ever since my pinewood derby days but I’m going to try the dremel out next time. One other tip is to have a scrap piece handy wherever you’re coping so that you can fine tune the joint right there instead of dragging it in the house only to see you have a few high spots. I’m allergic to manually coping angles. Some profiles will be difficult to follow with just one cut. Here’s how to cope cut an inside corner and why it’s the better choice. Hope this is helpful. Sometimes you can get away with miters but you risk gaps opening up over time. Make a reverse 45-degree cut to expose the profile. I completed about half of the molding last Saturday, and plan to finish the rest this weekend. Coped joints for baseboard look great, but can be time-consuming. This is extremely simple to do with MDF baseboards as you can follow the white “line”. If you have a low fence on your miter saw, add a 1×4 (photo 1) to fully support the baseboard. With kiln-dried oak over hundred year-old framing, this problem is pretty rare. 2) And 1/4″ – 1/8″ to the measurement, meaning I know I will have to cut it again. Share. So I stick with the monster mitre saw. My question is: Can I cut my 45 with the board in a vertical position? Tap to unmute 0:00. http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/finishcarp/baseboard/traditional/coped_cut.htm, Here is the more in depth coping tutorial, I like how he shows how to speed it up with a miter saw, and also how he cuts the back at an angle to reduce the sanding needed.