Isn’t the Hepburn’s Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch the coastal group? Grant mentioned this in his book as well. http://texasbirds.org/tbrc/ynalbatr.htm Female Common Yellowthroat. Common Yellowthroats in migration are fairly common to uncommon through the state. Text by Robert C. Tweit (2004). I don’t know to what extent these forms differ. The easiest solution is to apply visible patterns to the outside of the window. The nominate subspecies (Vireo altiloquus altiloquus) seems very distinctive in plumage coloration and bill size/shape to me compared to the coastal Florida form V. a. barbatulus. I don’t see it mentioned for the US in either the AOU nor ABA lists. Subspecies taxonomy is confusing (Pyle 1997, Guzy and Ritchison 1999). Females lack the mask and are much browner, though they usually show a hint of warm yellow at the throat. None of this is conclusive of course but just some observations from a long time gull enthusiast. Regards, (Browse free accounts on the home page.). Here is a shot of a bird with the brighter pink legs: http://www.pbase.com/shonn/image/91159052 This particular bird did have a long call that was noticeably lower and slower than what I was used to hearing. Sage Sparrow (Pacific or Bell’s) – Amphispiza belli belli, Sage Sparrow (Interior) – Amphispiza belli nevadensis group. When you hear one calling, look low in bushes and trees for a quick, small bird, olive above and yellow below. After having read you call descriptions, I’ve noticed the birds with the pinker legs almost always have the lower and slower calls you described (many of them are also a bit darker in mantel shade as well). Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. This species, like Ruby-throated Hummingbird and White-throated Sparrow, is one of the most frequent victims of collisions with windows and communication towers, often during the bird's nocturnal migrations. Gray-cheeked Thrush: mention alicae/minimus, and mention that sp. These yellowthroats are not only territorial among themselves, but they also keep migrant yellowthroats of other races completely out of their habitat. I believe there would be a lot more support for Crossbill splitting if it was only into two or three species. Turkey Vulture: there are at least two ssp. The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America: Second Edition, The Sibley Guide to Birds - Second Edition, The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America: Second Edition, Some discussion of the concept behind the list is here, Name changes of birds in the 2012 AOU supplement, Distribution of Greater White-fronted Goose subspecies, http://www.pbase.com/shonn/image/74510798, http://www.pbase.com/shonn/image/91159052, http://www.pbase.com/shonn/image/110797210, New Product – A ten pack of greeting cards with art and text from my newest book, Scarlet Tanagers are bright red – but this one is yellow, A Cerulean-like song variant of Black-throated Blue Warbler, Exhibit of original art from "What it's like to be a bird" - Canton, MA. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. (precedent as with Lesser Sand-Plover and Snowy Plover). Thanks Nate. Orn. 1) Yellow-nosed Albatross. Another thing I’ve noticed is the 1st winter (1st basic) northern birds also seem to be a bit grayer, closely resembling the overall tone of same age Herring Gulls. Adult males have black masks. Common Eider: your text refers to the “West Arctic” form, but none of the 4 listed ssp. A great resource, and thank you for putting all this information in one place. If there are, then include in some way. Common Yellowthroat (Southwestern) – Geothlypis trichas chryseola group . Serge Dumont Version 2004.1. Common Yellowthroat also shares the same vulnerability to climate change and habitat loss as less-common species such as Saltmarsh Sparrow. Howell, S. N. G. and S. Webb. Gray-crowned Yellowthroat – … I’ll continue to look this over in the coming days, but the seabird treatment to me immediately prompts a few comments, especially given the fact that NACC is out of sync with much of the world when it comes to seabird taxonomy (and I’m sure they’d appreciate receiving proposals…it’s not all their fault!). The distinctive Chiriqui form in the highlands of Costa Rica and western Panama is further separated from its relatives to the east by the Andes Mountains. Are there no N. A. records of nominate marila Greater Scaup? Nesting was also found in the northern Panhandle and along the Rio Grande River from Del Rio to El Paso. Not now (it’s still a draft with some basic fact-checking and editing to be done), but I will try to make it available as a pdf once the reviews are finished. is called this – suggest using either “West Arctic” or “Pacific” in both places. Donate to support ABC's conservation mission! But Mexican sounds better and more exotic and is probably more accurate. Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) is a species of bird in the Parulidae family. Terms Of Use / Copyright Restrictions, Site Privacy Policy | Report Abuse | Website Administrator | Web Design by Drupal Development Services. That Aleutian Arc/Kamchatka Peninsula is clearly an area where larid genetics is pretty volatile. Can you help? Wrentit (northern vs. southern groups) Couple of minor comments, did you mean to include Labrador Duck? Hi Jim, Thanks, I’m glad you find it useful.