Support OneGreenPlanet Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. plantain, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch chunks (ripe , with black sports or all-black skin), all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, milk, egg, fresh pineapple, chopped, vegetable oil, for frying, powdered sugar (optional) Add more flour or liquid if necessary. Plain flour, baking powder, coconut milk, nutmeg and cinnamon and mix together until smooth. SPRINKLED WITH A LITTLE SALT, COMPLIMENTS THE SLIGHTLY SWEET INSIDE. Required fields are marked *. Keep it in the fridge in a sealed container for best results -- you can use it in everything from cookies to dusting tofu before pan-frying to dog treats to veggie burgers. Stir in the mashed plantains, & add more milk if necessary ~ Batter should be of a dropping consistency. (Although I will admit: they're so good, I find it tough keeping them in the fridge for longer than a few days. HONcode standard for trustworthy health information. Mix well. 125ml coconut milk. For those times when you just need a little treat - but don't want to dive back into old habits, old foods, foods that make you feel icky, or things that don't support your new habits - it's nice to have a little something on the back burner that feels indulgent. Cook until golden brown, 1 minute on each side. Learn how your comment data is processed. | From The Ground Up Wellness. Nutrition composition will vary depending on the exact ingredients used. Serve warm with dipping sauce or as a side dish instead of potatoes. It's a high-fiber, high-protein gluten-free substitute. BEING THAT I'M PUERTO RICAN, I LOVE EATING FRIED PLANTANOS (PLANTAINS.) However i did a few things differently, i did not use a food processor as i dont own one therefore i used a pestle and mortar to mash the plantains, then i blended the onions with a little bit of water in a blender and added it to the plantain mixture. 4 tbsp sugar . They're high in fiber, but low in sugar, which means they take a long time to break down (good) without wreaking havoc on blood sugar levels (also good). This is usually followed by a sudden drop as the body tries to find its equilibrium, which means we get hungry more quickly and our energy ends up all over the place as it tries to find a happy medium again. Plantains are a staple starch in the West African cuisine and Africa is the major producer of plantains in the world. It goes well with rice and beans or any savory type dish. New ingredient: Plantains are versatile produce which look like fat green bananas. Peel skin with a potato peeler. Flava-filled easy vegan recipes to start your vegan journey, © Caradise Original Flava 2020 As I mention in this post here, plantains are a terrific source of complex carbohydrates and lasting energy, without the spike-and-crash effect of the fructose found in their cousins, the […], […] touch the stuff), we’ve found some fun recipes we both dig: butter crunch granola, plantain fritters and tahini cookie batter balls are our guilt-free treats of […], Your email address will not be published. Serve with a little sweet basil ponzu dipping sauce on the side for a savory treat, or have them plain as an energy-boosting, sugar-free snack. Heat oil in large skillet until very hot. BONUS: Sign up today and receive your free Starter Kit! 2. Transfer to the oven and bake 15 minutes. Make sure the plantains are very ripe, or substitute bananas instead. Drain and peel the plantains and transfer to a large bowl. homemade honey nut granola {with coconut oil}. Fry plantain slices in batches of 6 (don't crowd them) until bottoms are golden, about 45 seconds, then turn over and fry until other side of each is golden, 30 to … Mash to a smooth consistency and add the baking powder, salt, garlic, and pepper. Fry the cakes until golden brown, about 2 to … Then add sugar, vanilla. I gave it 4 stars only because i think more salt is required and probably less blended onion as husband said it was too oniony for him. New ingredient: Plantains are versatile produce which look like fat green bananas. Blend until smooth. Add the flour, onion, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended (batter will be moist). Used in the same way as potatoes, they’re great baked or simply sliced and pan-fried in a little oil. of oil to 375°. From The Ground Up Wellness https://www.fromthegroundupwellness.com/, plant-based nutrition, gluten-free living, finding your happy weight. Store extra batter and/or prepared cookies in the fridge in a sealed container. Combine with spring onions and garlic. Our new cookbook is out now via Amazon! More sub options, Your credit card will not be chargedCredit card details held securely by Stripe, Plus we’ll send you a free download of our Healthy Pantry Checklist. Oops! Smoked fish cakes with kumara chips and crunchy... Health risks of sitting offset by sweating, {{ (signIn ? :), The addition of the curry powder and cayenne takes this to a whole other level of sweetness: the kick from the spice definitely reminds you you're not having an Oreo, but there's something lovely about how well it goes with the plantains' carby-ness. These golden brown fritters are a favorite in West Africa, where my aunt served as a missionary for 45 years. Drop by spoonfuls into preheated deep fat at 375 degrees F & fry 4-5 minutes, or until evenly browned. Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture in pan. They’re much sweeter. Bake, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until plantains are golden brown and very tender. They taste like potatoes, and cook like potatoes – only faster – which is great for a busy cook. Drop by spoonfuls into preheated deep fat at 375 degrees F & fry 4-5 minutes, or until … Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. All Rights Reserved. i like spice and colour in my food so i chopped up some chillies finely along with some spring onion/scallions and added it to the mixture. Cut each plantain on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices. We don't like Spam! Used in the same way as potatoes, they’re great baked … These plantain fritters are so tasty and enjoyable any time of the day! Do you ever experience that? A little like a Journey Bar, these have a distinctly 'healthy' quality to them... but in a good way. 3. re packed with refueling starches (those nice complex carbohydrates the body loves to use for energy), potassium (yay, electrolyte replenishing) and Vitamins A, C and B6.